The Sit. Where it all Began
The movement officially launched in December 2018 under the name Making Meditation Mainstream (MMM) by Jason Partington, in response to an alarming increase in suicide rates and mental health challenges experienced in the Northern Beaches community of Sydney.
Mindfulness meditation is now recognised as an effective treatment for mental health issues like stress, anxiety and depression. As such, Making Meditation Mainstream, as it was colloquially known, was a proactive initiative to provide the community with free, weekly opportunities to experience the benefits of meditation and mindfulness in a very accessible way – without religious or overly spiritual overtones.
The sessions offered more than just meditation, they were a beacon of positivity during challenging times. Making Meditation Mainstream sessions offered support and friendship, shone a light on themes like gratitude, sharing, kindness and environmental care – but most of all – they supported community and affirmed an appreciation of Life.
Starting on Avalon Beach, Jason placed the first Making Meditation Mainstream kite banner in the sand and began offering weekly meditation sessions at sunrise to his local community.
Making Meditation Mainstream quickly spread as more people experienced the power of the sessions, and they too wanted to bring it to their local community.
To date, Making Meditation Mainstream has grown to 20 locations and is supported by over 70 inspired and passionate volunteers and leaders who all believe in the power of meditation and community.
Throughout the past three years, Making Meditation Mainstream has surpassed multiple milestones and received many accolades, including:
- Raised over $75000 for Lifeline
- Launched three successful national online meditation events which supported thousands of people during covid-19 lockdowns
- Supported by Roland Music, Rea Group, Laing & Simmons Real Estate, Prana Chai etc.
- Northern Beaches council Australia day awards – community event of the year 2021
- Mentioned in Federal Parliament by Liesl Tesch MP and Jason Falinksi MP for its contribution to the community, 2020 and 2021
- Finalist of the Westfield local hero community awards 2021
- Launching its first overseas location in Switzerland and Devon, United Kingdom
- Invited to be a part of Lululemon – global Here To Be community
- Featured in various magazines and local newspapers
Making Meditation Mainstream undertook the first leg of the journey and now passes the baton to
For it to become what it was born to become, a Global Meditation Movement.
The Sit Journey Continues...
Join our movement across Australia and the world and become part of the ripple effect.
Be the change you wish to see in the world.